Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Knitting Reality Check

I've been reading a lot about knitting this winter, using the public library as a resource. I have found a lot of interesting books.

How do you find them? a friend asked.

One thing leads to another, I replied, especially if I search for books to buy on Amazon. Whenever I search for a title, Amazon suggests more in a similar vein. If a book looks interesting, before ordering it on Amazon, I check to see if our public library has a copy. 

I've bought a few copies of books I found in the library, like the Elizabeth Zimmermann books I've mentioned elsewhere.

Our library does have a lot of modern knitting books. Many are on hold, so sometimes I have to wait to get them. I borrowed the book on the left after seeing it on Amazon. It is full of patterns for reversible knitting, something I want to get back to. But reversible knitting does take a lot of time, so I've decided to leave it for now.

I've borrowed a few books by Sally Melville, a knitwear designer I've discovered through her books at the library.

I really love her designs. I could see myself wearing some, like this dress on the cover...













But realistically, it's more complicated than I want to tackle right now...

Another book by Sally Melville that I found in the library is on designing and modifying knitting patterns. I'd love to be able to do that. But after looking through the library copy, I've decided it's too much work for me right now...











It's been interesting to see how many resources are available to me - for free at the library. But knitting does take time. I've had to do a reality check: For now I only have time for small projects, like hats.

When I have more time, I may come back and reconsider some of the patterns in these books...

Like the sweater on the left... But not right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment