Wednesday, March 2, 2016

A Birthday Surprise

A few weeks ago, my kids in Toronto invited me to a "birthday surprise." I had no idea what they were planning as I boarded the train. We all met up in a restaurant near the venue...

Do you have any idea what you're going to see? my daughter asked, as we surveyed the stage where a large screen and a dozen music stands were set up...

Absolutely none! I replied.






Then the band came out and a film began to play on the screen overhead.










I recognized the film and the music! Years ago, my son had taken me to funny feature-length made-in-Canada movie entitled "Les Triplettes de Belleville." The animation had won awards in film festivals. We had both loved it. Later on, my son had bought me the movie on DVD.











All these years later, the composer (a Canadian) had assembled a small orchestra for a live performance of the music - while the film played overhead! What a treat to realize that - yes, someone had composed the music and, unseen live musicians were responsible for the lively music that played throughout the film.

The whole experience had a surreal quality about it! It was an amazing experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment