Thursday, February 11, 2016

Pottery Update

I started doing pottery again about a month ago, after a six-month break.

I go twice a week - once to do hand-building, once to use the wheel. It gets me out of the house in winter... and it's a lot of fun! (Playing in mud, as some potters laughingly call it, is one hobby Terry doesn't want me doing at home!)

In case you're wondering about all the plastic, wet clay and freshly-made objects have to be wrapped in plastic, to prevent quick drying. Or else they'll crack.

In the few weeks I've been back, I've made some bowls... (I wanted to carve this one to look like a grove of small trees...)

I'm using brown clay again, for a change. Last year I used white.
I've made a few animals, like this little squirrel...












(Here's a side view...) He started out as a rabbit, but I thought he looked more squirrel-like, so I added a bushy tail!)









I've glazed a few pots that I made last spring. (They've been sitting in a box in our basement...) Here they are in the glazing room before being dipped in glaze...









Here they are, glazed, fresh out of the kiln.










I enjoy adding texture to my pottery pieces.

I also glazed some bowls I molded during last spring's rhubarb season, when I pressed a rhubarb leaf into wet clay to make these imprints and designs.

Working with clay is full of surprises. One never knows what will turn out and what won't.


No comments:

Post a Comment