Saturday, February 20, 2016

Our (Modern) Public Library

I have been borrowing a lot of books (and DVDs) from the library this winter.

Recently returning a book, I noticed that the library now had an automated book return system. When I put my book through the return slot, it lands, not in a box, but on the conveyor belt, where it is carried away to be processed.

Watching in amazement, I was reminded how libraries had changed since I first started using the Red Deer (Alberta) Public Library, when I was a child. Back then a librarian manually stamped cards kept in paper pockets at the back of books. Now bar codes on books are "read" by this machine!
And on another machine that I use when I check my books out.













One thing hasn't changed, though. People are still needed to put books back on the shelves!

(I'm glad there are physical books to read in the library and that it is a physical place to visit. Will we one day have virtual libraries only, with only e-books to download and read?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment