Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Growing Veggies in Winter

I've been hearing a lot about the high cost of fresh veggies this winter...

Perhaps it's time to pull out my bean-sprouter and grow some fresh sprouts. I haven't done it in years.

The sprouter has 5 parts: a cover, three plastic trays with holes in them that drain into the tray below, plus a bottom tray (to catch the water). I filled the three top trays with half a teaspoon of different seeds in each: alfalfa, Daikon radish, and an "ancient Eastern blend." (I bought these years ago - I hope they still work!)


Every day, I pour a cup of water into the top tray - and watch it trickle down into the others. Then I empty the water out of the bottom tray. The seeds need to stay damp, but daily rinsing keeps them from getting moldy.

Hopefully, in a few days, I'll have fresh sprouts to add to a sandwich or to a bowl of soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment