Monday, February 22, 2016

Fair Isle Hat

Watching the knitting lessons on Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting Workshop DVD inspired me to try knitting a "fair isle" style hat.

Several Christmases ago I received these three balls of fine yarn from Iceland. (My son and daughter-in-law went to Iceland for their honeymoon.)

What to make with three balls of different colors? A scarf, perhaps - but I don't use scarves very often.





 
Or a fair isle hat. It's much more attractive than stripes.

I found a picture on Pinterest that looked relatively easy to copy.

A few hours later - it was done!

Here is the link to the Pinterest picture.

http://www.shibuiknits.com/patterns-cliff-hat

Another link from the designer's website (above) leads to the free pattern instructions available through the knitting website Ravelry.

I didn't follow the pattern exactly, as the original hat is made of five colors of yarn, not three - as mine is.

5 comments:

  1. I Love it!!!Were the instructions with the photo? Could you please provide the link if they were.

    Thank you.

    Pat in Brossard, QC

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.shibuiknits.com/patterns-cliff-hat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried unsuccessfully to create a link to the website here in the comments. When it didn't work, I included it in the text above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many Thanks!! :-)

    Pat

    ReplyDelete