Sunday, December 21, 2014

Learning Patience in Prayer

I'm basically an impatient person. So I paused when I recently came across the following admonition:

"Don't be in a bigger hurry than God..."

The words, written by Brother Lawrence - a humble French monastery cook and shoe-maker who lived more than 300 years ago - have a lot to teach me! And I wonder: Have people always been as impatient as we are today?!

I think of the seasons, changing slowly day by day. No rushing - just purposeful movement. Also of Joyce Meyer's words: God is rarely early -  but He's never late.

Sometimes I hope and pray for things for years, and it seems as if nothing is happening... I'm obviously in a bigger hurry than God... who is never late!

I found more quotes by this humble wise man, Brother Lawrence, on this website. He never set out to write a book, but his writings were collected after his death and became best sellers!

(I notice that the one that caught my eye isn't among them...)

No comments:

Post a Comment