Friday, December 5, 2014

Hoarder? Or Archivist?

I'm always trying to tidy up my little study. Organizing it has been on the top of my "TO-DO" list for years!


It was a useful work space when I had several part-time teaching jobs. But nowadays it tends to be a catch-all: Whenever I don't know what to do with books or papers, I put them in there.




I recently came across one of my mother's boxes of papers - which I was storing in the study. I opened it, planning to sort and toss.

Bundled together were letters written to relatives long past away... Do I read them? Do I toss them? File them away? Or do I hunt for someone in the family who could use them in a genealogical search?




(This doesn't make organizing my study any easier!)

So I put them aside (in the study, of course)! As I walk away, I wonder, at the back of my mind: Am I an archivist? Or a hoarder simply looking for an excuse not to toss?!

No comments:

Post a Comment