Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Cataract Surgery - 10 Days Later

A week ago last Friday, I had cataract surgery on my left eye. Several days before the surgery, the young doctor who was going to perform the surgery warned me that  my vision in that eye might not be very good after the surgery since laser vision correction skews the readings that determine which lens to put into the eye.

Don't you just calculate the difference between my vision now and what it was before my laser correction? I asked...

He didn't answer. Instead, he went to to consult with my ophthalmologist, whom I've seen for years, but who no longer performs surgeries. He came back saying: We have a plan...

The conversation left me in dismay: Why had no one told me that this would be a problem? With all the people who have had laser vision correction in the past 30 years, why had no solution yet been found?

So it was with trepidation that I went through the surgery. Was I doing the right thing?


Afterwards, at home, sitting in my favorite chair, staring across the room at the cross-stitch Christmas card on the shelf, I closed one eye and then the other, to compare what I saw with both eyes. Through my left eye, the nativity scene was a total blur!

Day after day, the picture became my touch-stone for comparison. After three days, it looked clearer. (Was I imagining it?!)


After five days, through both eyes, the picture looked about the same!

Yesterday, at my 10-day check up, the doctor was pleased: You don't need glasses for driving, he informed me.

I too am extremely pleased with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment