Thursday, September 5, 2013

One of Life's Little Mysteries: Pens

I learned long ago to ask my kids (not my husband) when I have a computer problem. Maybe I'm naive, but I thought I understood the rest of life pretty well!

Apparently not! Recently my mother began complaining about the pens she uses to do Sudoku puzzles. They are constantly messing up.

Since her vision began to deteriorate, she does the puzzles lying in bed, the paper close to her eyes. But the pens soon stop working. She showed me a few...














The ink had all moved to the ball point instead of staying in the little tube, like the one below. And they were all leaking.














What was the problem? Was she dropping them on the floor?

I brought her some new ones, but the next day several of them were wrecked, too.

Finally I mentioned the problem to my son, showing him a pen I had taken from her: Grandma's pens are all getting messed up like this. Do you have any idea what the problem is?

Sure. She's trying to write on her side or lying on her back. Most pens aren't made for writing upside down or sideways. You need an "astronaut pen" for that - like the one on that Seinfeld episode.

(Really?!! How did he know that?!! Obviously his "common knowledge" wasn't the same as mine!)

"Astronaut space pens" should be marketed, not primarily for astronauts... (I mean, how many of us plan to go into space?!!) But, more realistically, for those who like to write in bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment