Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Creating a (False) Sense of Retail Urgency

I remember when the word SALE attracted my attention. But sales are so common nowadays, I rarely respond. LIMITED TIME OFFER is likewise one of those expressions I tend to ignore.

So what can get shoppers moving?














I was recently amazed to see a long line-up on one of Toronto's main streets. It started at the corner, and continued down the block.















What is going on there? I wondered. A jewelry sale? A visiting celebrity?

Something exciting was apparently happening in a MAGNUM shop.














What is MAGNUM? I wondered... So I looked it up online, and discovered that it was... ICE CREAM!?!

Yes, the weather was hot... but there are a lot of places to buy ice cream - really good ice cream. Why was there a line up?

Reading more, I discovered that this MAGNUM store was a "pop-up" store. In other words, it was only there for a certain period of time. Until the end of July, originally - but then extended to the end of August.

Every day I was there, I saw a long line-up... until September 1. Then nothing. It was closed.

Creating a sense of urgency ("Get it now or you'll never have another chance.") apparently works! But there is a catch: You have to have so few employees working that you create a line-up outside. (According to one online comment, this store had only two people serving ice cream.) You also have to really keep your word and leave when you say you will, or you'll lose all credibility. And, of course, you have to advertise!

No comments:

Post a Comment