Monday, September 16, 2013

Do African Violets Have a Blooming Season?!

I have a lot of African violets in the house, but only three are currently in bloom. All are next to north-facing windows, away from direct sunlight until late afternoon.














The purple one has been blooming all summer! The pink one below stated blooming when I moved it to the window sill a few weeks ago.















This third one on the shelf next to the window has just started blooming. I have to be careful not to water it too much. It's in a small pot. I've discovered that if African violets are wet all the time, they rot and die. To succeed, they have to be allowed to dry out.


















A few years ago, I had so many African violets in bloom in February I thought that was their flowering season. But now I wonder: Do they even have a specific blooming season?! Or will they bloom any time of the year?!

No comments:

Post a Comment