Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Finishing Up Two Paintings

In the next few weeks I plan to begin art classes again. I haven't painted much all summer. (Gardening is my summer "art"!)

In late summer I did finish up several watercolor portraits on canvas that I had started last winter. The one above started out a little different. I added two cats to personalize it. (My son loves cats.)


















When a visiting family member recognized the individual in this portrait, I decided to call it finished, too, and spray it with fixative.

The final step in both these portraits was to take them outside and spray six coats of a varnish-like fixative on them. Otherwise, in this medium (watercolor on canvas) the paint could easily wash off. Even a drop of water could destroy the work. Now that they are both sprayed, they are officially done!

(Time to find a new face to paint!)

No comments:

Post a Comment