Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Early September Flowers

This is the time of the year that my outdoor flower-growing season is coming to an end. Rather than anticipate - What's next?!!














I sadly watch the fading blooms and appreciate the few flowers that are still around, like the pink phlox (above).


















The echinacea cone flowers.














The windflowers (now in full bloom).














The brown-eyed (or is it black-eyed?) Susans, flowers one of my neighbors used to pull out as "weeds."


















(I'm not that fussy! In fact, I welcome the brightness they add here and there in my yard.)














A flowering surprise in one fading bed is this rose bush I divided earlier in summer, when the plant was being overcrowded by some Achillea. When I dug up the rose bush to move it, it split into three or four plants. I wasn't sure if any would survive - but here they are, blooming again.














The most interesting flower for me at this time of year is the sedum, which is starting to turn pink and then red.














As I survey the flowers in the yard, I also notice that the rhubarb roots I transplanted in July are actually growing. Does this mean I'll have a better crop of rhubarb next year?!

I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment