Saturday, September 14, 2013

Arab-Style Tomato and Garlic Salad

At this time of year, when tomatoes are in season, I am reminded of a tomato salad I used to make in Israel. The recipe was taught to me by an Arab friend... but unfortunately I didn't write down. (I thought it was so easy I'd never forget!)














If memory serves me correctly, the only ingredients were:
  • several cloves of garlic crushed in a bowl with salt - to make a fresh garlic puree
  • several tomatoes - sliced, and 
  • olive oil
I loved it! (But the tomatoes have to be just right!)

I couldn't remember if lemon juice was added, so I did an online search for a similar recipe. The closest one I found is this one which uses chopped spearmint, but no lemon juice or vinegar. I don't think I used mint in the salads I made.














I don't usually have fresh garlic on hand. Nowadays I buy garlic pre-chopped (in a jar). I try pureeing a generous teaspoon (6 ml) of that with about half a teaspoon (3 ml) of salt, using a flat-bottom glass as a pestle to crush the garlic. (In the process, I discover that chopped garlic doesn't crush as well as fresh cloves do.)














Add sliced tomatoes. (I like large chunks.) Mix in about 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) of olive oil. Add a little more salt, if desired.














The online recipe says to refrigerate for about 15 minutes to let the flavors mix. Delicious with bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment