Sunday, June 2, 2013

Waiting

Terry prides himself in his ability to wait patently - whereas I have no patience to wait at all! I keep a stack of magazines in the car - and a notebook in my purse - in case I have to sit and wait.














But Richard Foster, in a book on prayer, challenges me to think of waiting as prayer!

"We discover God in our waiting: waiting in checkout lines, waiting for the telephone to ring, waiting for graduation, waiting for a promotion, waiting to retire, waiting to die. The waiting itself becomes a prayer if we give our waiting to God. In waiting we begin to get in touch with the rhythms of life - stillness and action, listening and decision. They are the rhythms of God."*

I haven't found that sense of peace while waiting - but I'm willing to give it a try!

*(Prayer: Finding the Heart's True Home, p. 174)


No comments:

Post a Comment