Wednesday, June 5, 2013

An Interesting Greenhouse

During the Doors Open Ottawa weekend, Terry and I also toured a large greenhouse in Manotick.














Here vegetables are grown hydroponically, allowing local stores and restaurants to sell - all year long - produce that hasn't been shipped from afar.


















I was amazed at the size of the complex!














I knew they grew cucumbers and many varieties of tomatoes...


















But I was surprised to discover that they also grow peppers and beans.














No pesticides are used in this controlled environment. (We had to wipe our shoes on an antiseptic mat when entering.)















We were able to taste samples of their produce - including the owner's favorite: fresh pepper slices with peanut butter!














Their little shop is open all year long. I know I'll be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment