Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Learning From Others

Sometimes passers-by compliment us on the flowers at the edge of the road. Most people have lawn - with flowers closer to the house.














Year by year I add more plants. Some survive while others don't. The winter road salt and the shallow soil make this a tough growing environment.














But my roadside bed is nothing compared to this one a few streets away. This one has been my inspiration.














The first time I saw it, I knew that this is what I wanted to do. Every once in a while I slowly walk past - to appreciate... and to learn!

"Each one teach one" is a motto of the Laubach literacy movement. In parts of the world where people didn't all go to school, adults who were learning to read helped each other, each teaching someone else to read as well. This is how literacy spread. But it doesn't stop there: We all have a lot to learn from each other! In my case, I have a lot to learn about gardening. I'm glad I live in a neighborhood of gardeners! I appreciate everyone who teaches me... by word or deed!

No comments:

Post a Comment