Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Discovering "Tomatillos"

Sometimes I think about the fruit and veggies I grew up eating - so different from the vast array my local supermarket now carries! Bananas, oranges, lemons and grapefruit were the only tropical fruit available in stores when I was a child.














Just last week I discovered a new vegetable: a staple food in Mexico. Tomatillos taste like tomatoes, but according to this article, with their outer skin, they are related to gooseberries.














They are sold at the Sun Tech greenhouse, and I added one to the top of this meatloaf.














They are apparently used in salsa - so next time I make a stew or spaghetti sauce, I'm going to toss one in, all chopped up.

(They look interesting enough to draw as well!)

No comments:

Post a Comment