Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My Never-Ending Bin of Scraps

My quilting scraps come from a variety of sources - my mother's leftovers, fabric I "inherited" when an aunt downsized, bags of fabric that my neighbor across the street offered me when she decided to give up quilting. Some are left over from sewing projects of my own.

A while back, I sorted through my fabrics (and scraps), separating each color into its own bin. My hope - when I began my most recent quilt - was that I would use up all my brown and beige bits...














My goal: to totally empty this bin of brown / beige scraps. (After all, the bin doesn't look all that big.)














But after finishing the quilt top, I had more!














So I made a few mug rugs.














But I still had more! So I decided to keep going and create some squares for some unplanned future project. Bits of this and that, they are all different.

How many will I get? I wondered when I began...














Half a dozen squares later, my brown / beige bin of fabric still hasn't run out! So I guess I'll just keep going!

The irony of all this - as my daughter commented when I mentioned what I was doing -  is that I never buy brown. Where did all these brown and beige bits of fabric come from?! And why isn't it running out?! (I have absolutely no idea!)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marlene, I love your quilt! And, I like the idea of using this block for mug rugs. That is so funny about how you never buy browns or beiges, because that's about all I buy. It is fun to see how different we all are. Mary Rosenau

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    It is funny about the browns and beiges. I rarely buy them - even though they match our living room the best! I tend to get inspired by brighter colors - that don't fit into the color scheme of any of our rooms!
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete