Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day Trip Shopping in Gatineau, Quebec

One of the interesting aspects about living in Ottawa is its proximity to the province of Quebec. The city of Gatineau (in Quebec) is right across the river from Ottawa. In many ways, the two cities form the same urban community. Daily rush hour traffic jams on the bridges that cross the river attest to the number of people who live in one province and work in the other. At one time, I taught English in a French language college in Gatineau, so I made the trek several times a week. I enjoyed the drive, leaving only when I found a similar job in my own neighborhood.














Living in Quebec is, for all intents and purposes, no different than living in Ontario!














Many of the restaurants and business are the same.














But at the same time, the provincial laws are different... (Which is why many young people from Ottawa celebrate their 18th birthdays in Quebec - where the legal drinking age is 18, as compared to 19 in Ontario!)











The first thing you notice when going over the river is that the signs are in French only.














Even in the Costco store across the river, most of the books for sale are in French.














I don't go over to Gatineau very often these days, but when I crave a change and can't go far - crossing the river to shop in Quebec gives me the pleasant feeling of being "away."


No comments:

Post a Comment