Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What Happened to These Roses?

In my early gardening years, I tried growing roses - but with little success. After blooming for two or three years they would die. Eventually I gave up! Until I discovered tiny tea roses!














My mother often receives potted tea roses as gifts. When they stop blooming in her home, she asks me to plant them in my garden. Occasionally she asks how her roses are doing - and my answer invariably is FINE!














Their red and yellow blooms brighten my garden beds all season long. Occasionally I trim them back a bit, but they invariably remain small bushes covered with tiny flowers.


















Until this year! One that I planted in the side garden has suddenly shot up - to about 3 feet (1 meter) in height. Has a hybrid rose returned to its original size? I'm not sure - but, to my surprise, I again have a large blooming red rose bush. (I wonder how long it will thrive...)




No comments:

Post a Comment