Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Finding a Darning Egg

On cooler days I like to wear my hand-knit socks around the house like slippers.














But one recent cool morning when I pulled them out, I discovered that several of my favorite pairs have holes in them! So I again went online to look for a darning mushroom... I have been looking for one for years. (My mother always used a burned out glass light bulb for darning, but I wanted something less fragile.)

How many people darn socks these days? I wondered... Surely antique shops are the only place I will find them locally...


















But, before placing an online order, I dropped into a yarn shop not far from home...














And to my amazement, they had - not a darning mushroom, but a wooden darning egg (basically the same thing) and at a reasonable price to boot! It comes from Berkley, California...














What a surprise! When I think of California, I think of sunny beaches... not darning socks!

Now, having found a darning egg, I really have no excuse!

No comments:

Post a Comment