Friday, September 28, 2012

Moving into Acrylics

Time to learn to paint so that I can add color to my drawings. So I register for a 4-session class in acrylics. I arrived with my tubes of paint...














The teacher's method is to have us replicate one of her paintings: a barn in a snowy field.














We start with the background. ("In acrylics, you move from back to front," we are told...)

It's harder than it looks - my background doesn't darken evenly like hers does. Instead it has streaks of color.














Fortunately skies are very flexible! They come streaky with clouds - or clear. Mine looks a little foggy!

Next class we'll work on the barn, she tells us...

For three whole hours?!! It definitely isn't as easy as it looks! But I do love the texture of the paint. It reminds me of the oil paints I used in my teenage years when I painted portraits. The disadvantages of oil paints are the long drying times... and the smell. (Which is why I am avoiding them now.)

No comments:

Post a Comment