Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Indoor Tree Update: Pruning and New Growth

A while back I wrote about indoor trees, mentioning the problem of trees growing too large.


















A friend of mine, who has several indoor trees, told me to simply cut back any that were getting too big. I was reluctant to take such a drastic step, especially since cutting back meant removing all leaves. But finally I did cut back the tallest limb of this dracaena marginata, trimming it down to the soil. (I'm not sure if each limb is a separate tree or if all are part of the same tree.) It took a while for the other two limbs in the pot to readjust.  In fact, I was wondering if the second tallest (the tallest in the picture above) would survive.  Its leaves drooped for a month.



















But now - three months later - both remaining trees/limbs seem to be doing fine - and a new little shoot is growing from the stump of the one I removed. So pruning did work!

No comments:

Post a Comment