Sunday, September 2, 2012

Life With God

I am reading about "spiritual transformation" in a book by one of my favorite authors, Richard J. Foster. Years ago he introduced me to the concept of "spiritual disciplines" and challenged me to consider "simplicity." Although Life With God isn't as revolutionary, I still find myself pausing to reflect.














Here is a sampling from his chapter, "The Disciplines of Relationship."

"Do we truly want life with God? This is the prime question in moving from intention to action in the spiritual life... God wants an active partner in relationship... We learn as we go. We learn as we do. As we go and do with God, we are changed along the way... [We] follow God's lead... God goes ahead of us, God follows us, God holds us up, God is always with us."

I love the Benedictine concept of living with God in the ordinariness of life. And at this stage of life, when I don't have a lot of energy to spare, it's comforting to realize that God is holding me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment