Saturday, September 8, 2012

10,000-Step Secret

Years ago, when my doctor first told me that my blood sugar was high, he recommended walking 10,000 steps a day. At the time, I was working in a large school. After wearing a pedometer several times to work, I discovered that I actually took more than 10,000 daily steps - many of them up and down stairs.














I no longer walk as much,  but have decided that it's time to wear that pedometer again to try to get back up there with my walking (which apparently stimulates the body's production of insulin).

What I've discovered recently is that though much of my day is pretty sedentary, if the weather is too hot to walk outdoors, an air-conditioned shopping center or mall is wonderful. An hour's shopping (or simply wandering around) helps me get up there very quickly!

(Walking for 45 minutes is roughly the same as 10,000 steps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment