Saturday, September 22, 2012

Autumn Joy

September is here and there are still a few flowers blooming in our yard.














 In my early gardening years, I didn't have any after mid-August.


















So I hunted for some late-bloomers.














I bought some at garden centers.














So now my garden has splashes of autumn color here and there.


















But my absolute favorites came from a neighbor dividing his flowers: autumn joy sedum, a hardy plant that turns red this time of year. My neighbor gave me a few, and now I divide the larger plants in fall, as well.

 












 My goal is to have them in different parts of the yard.














 Autumm joy sedum grows well where other plants won't - even near pine trees where the soil is acidic. The website linked to above describes them as drought tolerant and rabbit resistant. I haven't seen squirrels eating them either. They apparently grow in any kind of soil (neutral, alkaline or acid) in sun or shade, in average, dry or moist soil. They attract butterflies - and bees love them.


















I love them too! At this time of year, they really perk up the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment