Saturday, September 29, 2012

Almost Like Having a Baby

When our first child was born, we didn't know where to put her! She ended up sharing Terry's study. (He was a student at the time.) There, in a corner, we placed her first bed - a fold-up travel bed we affectionately called "the box."














Later on we squeezed a crib into this small space, as we adjusted our apartment to fit in a new person who had come to stay. But it wasn't until we moved into a house a year and a half later that she finally had a room of her own!

I have been reminded of that time of adjustment and change as I begin my new autumn venture - an acrylic painting class! I am again searching for the right spot in our home - not for a child - but for a place to set up an easel and paint! To date my art classes have involved pencils and drawing pads, supplies that pile easily beside a chair or desk. But suddenly I need a sink to wash my brushes, a table for my easel, a floor that paint drips won't damage!

Why not paint in the dining room? my daughter suggests on the phone.

I always sew in our dining room. I like the sunny space. But where would I put wet paintings when we needed to eat?!


















I wander around the house, looking. I come across an old table in our basement storage area... There is a laundry tub around the corner where I could wash brushes. (Is this how art studios are born?!)

Strange that I never thought of all this when I registered for the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment