Friday, July 27, 2012

Sketching Tropical Plants

I was back in the ornamental gardens of Ottawa's Central Experimental Farm a few days ago.

 












A few of us from our botanical drawing class had come early to draw (in the shade) on a hot day.














For some reason, I am drawn to larger plants (or trees) - like the Scots Pine on the right of the photo above which I sketched last time I was here.


















This time the two-tone leaves of this plant fascinated me...


















 ... so I began to draw it, not knowing what it was.














A while later, a volunteer wandered by, notebook in hand. She was cataloging the plants for the garden website.














What plant is this? I asked.


















A banana tree, she replied. It's kept in the greenhouse all winter and brought out in spring. (That's why it has annuals planted all around it.)



















There are tropical plants here, too?! That would also explain the papaya tree (with fruit) we saw when we were leaving!

No comments:

Post a Comment