Thursday, July 26, 2012

Plants on Vacation

Indoor plants are lovely - but they depend on regular watering. This can be a problem if you need to go on vacation.


















Years ago I read that indoor plants can thrive for weeks without watering if they are placed in large plastic bags - creating a temporary terrarium.














Recently I tried it again.














After watering the plants and pouring off excess water, I closed up each plastic bag and left the plants (for several weeks) in a sunny room away from direct sunlight.

But I made a mistake. One of my African violets wasn't looking perfect; however, I thought a few weeks in a humid terrarium might revive it...














But instead, it died - and the moldy condition that was affecting it infected the other plants in the same bag. So the lesson I learned was - if a plant looks less than perfectly healthy, keep it in a separate bag by itself. It may not survive, but at least it won't infect ny plants.














The other two bags of plants did really well! The plants came out looking refreshed - as if they had enjoyed their little greenhouse "vacation"!

No comments:

Post a Comment