Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Decluttering the Study: The Box

De-cluttering my little "catch-all" study is an ongoing process!


















A few years ago at the end of one summer, tired of seeing my desk piled high with papers, I simply lifted everything off my desk...















... and dumped it into this large box. Covering it with a lid, I put it aside, intending to deal with it "later"... And there the box has sat ever since, becoming part of the "furniture" in the room... I'm not sure when everything got dumped everything into the box, but I'd guess it was 2009 - since most of the newspaper clippings in the box bear that date!

In my renewed attempt to "right-size" the study, I finally opened the box and began to sort through the papers in it. It took a few hours, over the course of several days, but I am finally down to a few note-books I don't know what to do with...

One of the "rewards" of this labor is occasionally coming across a "historic treasure" from another era...














... like this note left by a son (of elementary school age) who had obviously just remembered at bed-time that he had a book report due the next day. (In those days - as now - I often went to bed before the rest of the family, and got up several hours before them as well.) The note, which delightfully transported me to another time and place, is now tucked in a file entitled "Family Stories."














My next dilemma: To remove the box or not?














After all, it is a flat surface on which to park things... (And the room feels empty without it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment