Monday, August 15, 2011

The Perfect Proposal

Strange - how some ideas "fly under the radar," so to speak. Then suddenly they are all around... leaving those of us who had never heard of them amazed: Where were we when this started?! Why was I unaware of this?!

One such idea - that I've suddenly become aware of - is "The Perfect Proposal."

Just last week at Curves (where women chat as they exercise) someone shared how her son had taken his girlfriend to a luxury hotel at Niagara Falls and there - overlooking the Falls - had proposed...

Niagara Falls was a honeymoon destination - not a proposal destination - when I was getting married, I commented.

A few women - my age - nodded.

Marriage rituals do change from generation to generation. But what I'd like to know is: When did this extra stage happen?

My own marriage was a whirlwind affair... Not that I recommend getting engaged after knowing someone for only six weeks. (If memory serves me right, the proposal followed the tasting of a fresh-out-of-the-oven cake.) The whole thing was a little crazy, but it suited who we were.

Does this new phase mean the end of spontaneity?

Hopefully the perfect proposal, followed by the perfect wedding, followed by the perfect honeymoon... means that couples are now giving marriage more serious thought, and they will be rewarded by perfect life together!

(But I must admit, I do miss the spontaneity!)

No comments:

Post a Comment