Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Trip to Arizona and the Grand Canyon

Do you plan to do any travelling after you retire? was a question I was often asked during my last months of teaching.

Well, I've never seen the Grand Canyon, I would reply. I'd like to see that... 

But the Grand Canyon trip never happened. It became sort of a family joke - Mom's trip to the Grand Canyon!

In our younger years, Terry drove our family across the continent every year or so... to visit my parents in BC or my brother's family in Dallas. But we're older now. Could we do it?! (And Terry really doesn't like to fly...)


Finally, one day last spring, my youngest son said: Mom, Dad isn't ever going to take you to the Grand Canyon. So I will...

So a few weeks ago, I boarded a plane for Phoenix, Arizona with my son, his wife, and their three-year-old daughter - for a  5-day Grand Canyon adventure...

We didn't do much outdoor walking when we arrived in Phoenix - the temperature was 103 Fahrenheit (39.4 degrees Celsius). Very hot and very dry!

But we spent our first night on the 17th floor of a lovely hotel...

And had amazing views of the city at dusk...












The next day we headed off into the desert by car...











Towards Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon, several hours away.



No comments:

Post a Comment