Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Hunting for the Perfect Poppy Seed Cake

One of Ottawa's European-style bakeries shut down recently, and ever since, I've been on a hunt for a replacement for one of their cakes that I used to buy... poppy seed roll. I've seen similar cakes made by other bakeries - but I think the Rideau Bakery's was sweetened with honey. It had a stickiness that others don't have. And it definitely had a lot more poppy seeds.

So I've been buying poppy seed rolls whenever I see them... hoping to find one I like as much.

I bought these fresh rolls at a Russian grocery store that carries food that I occasionally crave - garlic sausage that reminds me of sausage my father used to buy, and cherry cake with crumb topping similar to one my grandmother used to bake.

Large two-serving buns, one is filled with poppy seeds, the other with cottage cheese.

Good - but not exactly what I'm looking for...

I may have to try my hand making my own!

Not sure if the recipe in this Jewish cook book will replicate the cake I crave.


If not, I may have to hunt for a recipe online...

4 comments:

  1. Did you ever find a good poppy seed roll? Where was the Russian store that you mentioned? If only Rideau Bakery were still with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Russian grocery store is in a strip mall off Iris, near Ikea and the Ottawa Citizen building. It has wonderful cakes and sausage!

      Delete
    2. I found a pretty good poppyseed strudel at Produce depot on carling near Merivale

      Delete
  2. If you find a recipe that replicates the Rideau Bakery poppyseed roll, please post it! I had it for sixty years and miss it dearly. Maybe the baker will see this and post the recipe....

    ReplyDelete