Monday, September 2, 2019

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Treats

My daughter was recently introduced to a recipe that piqued my interest - to the point that I tried it, too.

Unlike my children, I didn't eat "peanut butter cups" when I was young . But I have been told that peanut butter and coconut oil are both healthy for me - and this recipe has generous amounts of both.

Basically the recipe consists of two layered parts that become Reese's Pieces look-alikes... (Though mine really didn't!)

The two parts are:
  • chocolate (made with cocoa, coconut oil and maple syrup as a sweetener)
  • peanut butter with a little coconut oil and maple syrup added.



If you're interested in trying the recipe, this is what you do to make the chocolate:
  1. Melt 1/3 cup coconut oil
  2. Add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
Pour about two teaspoons of this liquid chocolate into a dozen paper muffin cups and refrigerate or freeze until they harden.



In the meantime, add about 2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil and one tablespoon of maple syrup to half a cup of peanut butter - made with nuts only, no sugar added.

When this is ready, put a layer of this on the (hopefully) hardened chocolate - and refrigerate again. After about 10 minutes, remove the (hopefully) hardened chocolate and peanut butter layers and top with about a spoon of the remaining liquid chocolate mixture.


Refrigerate till all are hardened.

I made some small ones...









And some larger ones, using a fancy muffin tin.

My daughter stores hers in the freezer to keep them firm... (But they don't last long!)

I wonder how long mine will last!

No comments:

Post a Comment