Tuesday, April 9, 2019

What are the Chances?!

One of my goals in retirement has been to learn more about the history of Christianity.

To that end, during Lent this year, I started reading a book of ancient writings and sermons. The translation is recent, so the texts sound modern. I often find it hard to believe that some of this stuff was written over 1000 years ago.

From time to time I come across religious writers I don't know - so I google these ancient authors... as I did when I encountered the name "Pseudo-Athanasius."









My search for information about Pseudo-Athanasius led me to an academic website: Academia.edu (where university students can upload their research papers for all to read). But in order to read the texts, you have to create an account and sign in. So that's what I did.

At one point, there was an option: "login with Facebook." I remember pausing... Do I want Facebook announcing that I am part of Academia.edu? But I must have pressed the button.
To my surprise, the following day I received an email message telling me that I had a "follower" on Academia.edu - someone who could see what research papers I had read...

A follower?! I looked at the name and recognized someone I had briefly shared an apartment with in my single days. I had later also been a bridesmaid at her wedding. But I haven't seen her in years. Now we don't even live on the same continent... But we are connected on Facebook.

This whole interaction seemed surreal... 

I randomly discover an obscure website. And within a day, I'm sharing reading lists with a friend from my distant past...

I mean... 

What are the chances?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment