Wednesday, April 3, 2019

House Plants - for Our Health

I love indoor plants - probably because our outdoor growing season is so short here in Canada. I particularly like plants that are easy to keep...

Recently I came across an article on "Plant Power," which talks about the psychological and physical benefits of houseplants.

It mentions a book called, How to Grow Fresh Air - about the importance of having plants in homes and offices to detoxify the air. The author recommends at least two sizable plants for every 100 square feet of indoor space.

(I wonder if I have that many...?)

The article recommends a few good detoxifying plants:

  • bamboo palm
  • dragon tree
  • rubber plant
  • Boston fern




I know I don't have any of those... But I do have a few spider plants, a philodendron (which isn't doing too well), a healthy dracaena, and several snake plants, which are hardy - and good for air purifying.

My next step is to check and see if our public library has the book, How to Grow Fresh Air, or the other book mentioned in the article - Living With Plants: A Guide to Indoor Gardening by Sophie Lee.

Then I may have to go plant shopping to acquire a few more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment