Friday, April 19, 2019

Snorkeling and Surfing

Just as I arrived in Maui with a list of things I wanted to do, my son had plans of his own as well. Between the two of us, our days were packed!

One of my son's goals was to try surfing. He signed up for a group surfing lesson... 

I went along to watch - but tried to stay out of the way. 

The class was held at a large public park in Kihei.

.

When the instructor led the group over to a shady tree to go over surfing basics, I looked around, noticing that the park also had beach volleyball nets.









Before long, my son's group headed into the water... where there were so many surfers that I immediately lost track of where he was.










The gentle waves in the area made this a very popular spot!

Fortunately the surfing school sends a photographer out with every class, so students can purchase photos of themselves in action!








The second thing my son wanted to do was go snorkeling...

When I was his age, I had snorkeled in coral reefs in the Red Sea... and I can't even swim.

All you need to be able to do is float on your stomach.

Just get mask and a tube to blow through, I told him. Then go into the water and look down. Float along and watch. The sights will be amazing.

He purchased a simple snorkel kit and set out.
The beach walk near our hotel passed many good snorkeling areas... 

His first time out, he floated out a little farther than planned. Suddenly he noticed that the fish around him were rushing away - fleeing.

He turned his head to see a large turtle swimming by - more quickly than he expected.

He thought no more of it until the turtle passed him again, this time about two feet away...

Time to head back to shore!!

Enough excitement for one day!

(Maybe it's time to think about getting a cheap underwater camera - if there is such a thing!)

He went out snorkeling another time, again - without any turtle adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment