Friday, February 1, 2019

Finishing Books and Quilts: An Attainable Goal?!

I have the bad habit of starting to read a book - then putting it aside on my "to finish later" pile!

"To finish later" piles have sprouted up everywhere in the house - on my bedside table, next to my favorite chair, on my desk... literally everywhere I read.

I suspect that not finishing what I start is a habit I developed in my working years, when my free time was limited. But it hasn't improved in retirement! Not only are my reading piles higher - my unfinished quilting and knitting piles are larger as well!


Perhaps it's time to make finishing things - especially books and quilts - a priority...

These are the thoughts that led me to make a concerted effort to finish reading Phyllis Tickle's autobiography, The Shaping of a Life before the end of January... (and also finish the blue quilt I started last fall...)

I'm not allowing myself start another of her books currently on my "to read" pile - Prayer is a Place - until I finish at least one more unfinished book, even though I'm curious about her years as Contributing Editor in Religion for Publishers' Weekly and the interesting people she met.

I wonder... Would it be too much of a stretch to try to finish a quilt and a book a month for a while - at least until winter is over...?!

(Now wouldn't that be an accomplishment?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment