Sunday, November 19, 2017

What Happened to My Dreams?!

What do you want to be when you grow up? children are asked...

From the time I was 8 or 10, I'd have replied: A writer. 

Behind my answer was a desire to bring the same joy to others that I had found in books. I wanted to travel and write about life in faraway places. Creating stories just felt good!

Don't you want to be a teacher, like your mother?

No! I'd firmly reply. I really didn't want to be a teacher... But a teacher I became...What happened?!



It's a question I still ask myself: Why didn't I follow through with my dream?

Making peace with what we have done with our lives is, I think, part of getting older. I never wrote those fictitious adventures of a traveling heroine I wanted to write... (And my daughter reminds me that it isn't too late!) But I do enjoy writing a daily blog - and sometimes the posts touch on travel.

I enjoy other forms of creativity as well - quilting, drawing, painting, taking pictures... These were interests I pursued in my teenage years... I'm thankful for the time and opportunity to do them now.

But my writing dreams... What happened to them? 

I think a mentor would have made a difference, someone to advise me. I didn't know any writers - but I did know teachers! 

Fear definitely held me back...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment