Friday, November 17, 2017

Dividing My Aloe Vera Plant

I don't usually have a lot of luck growing aloe vera plants. I've tried numerous times, only to have them die...

But a few years ago, I bought a healthy-looking one at a church plant sale - and it has thrived!

I've kept it in a north-facing window where we have afternoon sun... At some point, I transplanted it into a larger pot where it has continued to grow.

It was beginning to look too crowded... I felt it needed to be divided... But how?!

Never having had one do so well before, I really had no idea!

Fortunately there is lots of advice online. After viewing a You Tube video, I felt ready to tackle it...

(Except that, now, it's too cold to take it outdoors!)

I found a large cardboard box where I could lay the plant after removing it from the pot. Then I proceeded to hunt for "pups" - little plants with roots, that have grown next to the mother plant.



I mixed a bag of cactus soil with some regular house plant soil.











I put a few "pups" into each pot - in case some don't take root. I packed the soil around them and watered them well.

Following the online advice, I'll wait till the soil dries completely before watering them again.

Now I have seven plants! Hopefully they'll take root and grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment