Thursday, November 16, 2017

"Stam"

For ten years, I spoke Hebrew on a daily basis.

For the first three, when I was a full-time student at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, I rarely spoke English.

So I remember struggling at times, during my first few days and weeks teaching at the Anglican International School, trying to remember certain English words... (Strange, I know, but true...!)

I learned Hebrew by being immersed in the language - hearing it spoken around me. Slowly I'd pick out sounds - from the jumble of sounds I heard daily - then more sounds, and discover what they meant. (So different from the way I studied French in high school here in Canada, where everything came from a book.)






This oral method suited my learning style, though, on the negative side, I never learned to write or spell very well. An added difficulty was that the Hebrew alphabet is entirely different.

I've been away from Israel for over 40 years now, and I'd guess that I've forgotten 40% of my vocabulary.











But when I went to Israel with one of my sons in 2008, I was still able to converse fluently, though at times I had to struggle to find words.










Over time, hearing words spoken around me, I'm sure many more words would resurface. That's the amazing way the brain works!






I've been reading an interesting book on the brain entitled, "The Brain that Changes Itself." In it I read that learning a foreign language is a good way to exercise the brain. So is travel, as it immerses a person in situations where everything is new and different, forcing the brain to work hard.













I don't know if it's because the book is making me think about my experiences in Israel, where I was totally immersed in a new country and language - but suddenly Hebrew words have been resurfacing in my mind... Words like "stam" - which means "for no good reason" or "just because I felt like it."

One might ask: "Why did you do it?" and the other person would simply say: "Stam."

(I love the concept! It suits an impulsive person like me!)

The brain is so amazing: I don't think it's churning up words from my past "stam" (or willy-nilly).

Perhaps reading a  book on how the brain works is another good way of exercising the brain! 

No comments:

Post a Comment