Monday, November 6, 2017

Joy in FINISHING!

The book, "20 Ways to Make Each Day Better," which I mentioned in yesterday's blog post, was a fun read. It gave me lots to think about.

A lot of ideas in the book resonated with me - none more than the idea: Finish a project. I begin many more projects than I finish -  from re-organizing my study to finishing books I've started and put aside. Then there are the knitting and quilting projects I've begun. Some I stopped working on because I wasn't totally happy with them, and wanted to step back a bit before tearing them apart. At other times, something else came up and I had to leave a project undone.

There is a sense of joy and satisfaction in finishing... and a sense  of discouragement in being surrounded by unfinished projects.

"Time to finish something!" I told myself - and headed to my sewing room!











I picked up where I had left off on my black and white "bento box" quilt...

It's in two large pieces. I'm hand-quilting each separately, then plan to sew them together...








Then, for a change of pace, I gathered up scraps of black and white fabric and made several dozen squares for some future project...











While looking for more black and white scraps, I came across mauve scraps from a quilt project I finished a few years ago.











I just had to see what they'd look like, if I joined them up like this... The long strips are separated by white squares.

Oh, no! Now I have two more unfinished quilting projects!!

(In quilting - as in many areas of my life - I'm easily distracted... and find it  a lot easier to start a project than to finish!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment