Sunday, November 26, 2017

"Consumerism" in Prayer

I am re-reading a twentieth-century Benedictine book entitled The Path of Life...

Written by a modern-day Benedictine monk from Britain, it presents an interesting point of view. Often I only read half a page before I stop to reflect.

In a chapter devoted to prayer, I paused after reading the following: A very common obstacle for people like ourselves, living in the late twentieth century, is the hunger for results. Influenced as we are by our consumer culture, we tend to see prayer as a product which we have bought, and therefore we expect it to yield quick results. What sort of results? Many of us, when we settle down to pray, do so with a number of unconscious or half-conscious expectations. Since I have decided to give up some of my invaluable time to God, I expect him to do something for me in return, preferably rather quickly. A sense of inner peace and tranquility, for example, would be nice to have; or a glimpse of the unity and harmony underlying all things. An occasional prophetic glimpse into the future would be welcome as well... If none of these things happen, we feel cheated and want our money back. We expect perceptible results in a short time, and because these have not been forthcoming, we conclude that something has gone wrong... (p. 93)

Am I like this? I have to ask myself... Is consumerism a cultural bias I bring to my understanding of prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment