Saturday, December 19, 2015

Back to Acrylic Painting

A week ago, I signed up for a one-day poinsettia painting class, which, unfortunately, had too few participants to run... I was disappointed, as I had been looking forward to getting back into acrylic painting again. A dozen tubes of acrylic paint in the basement (from a winter class I took a few years ago) were a constant reminder that they do dry out over time...

What to do? Perhaps YouTube had lessons in acrylic flower painting... And, of course, they do! I found this tutorial by Angela Anderson on painting a Gerbera Daisy in acrylics - for beginners... Perfect!

To get another perspective on the project, I photographed some close-ups of potted Gerbera Daisies at my local  supermarket and printed them them up for reference photos.








 


It has been fun... running downstairs to paint in the basement... then back upstairs to do something else  while the paint dried...









The painting has gone through a lot of transformations.










 
Looking back at these photos, I wonder if I haven't worked it too much...










Some of the earlier ones look better than what I have now! Now it's too dark, I think.

I need some highlights - but they will have to be strategically placed... I'm almost afraid to risk ruining the picture! One of the disadvantages of YouTube instruction is that I have no instructor to ask what to do now!

Maybe there's a lesson for me in this - that I do my best work quickly... So I should leave "well-enough" alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment