Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Right Job...?

For much of my working life, I wondered if I was on the right career path. As a child, my dream was to be a writer. My life - as I visualized it - would consist of traveling from one country to another, living somewhere for a while, writing fictional stories about someone who was doing just that - traveling... And then I would move on, to another exotic place...

(I'm not sure what novel or movie inspired this career goal, but that's what it was!)

My career path didn't follow that course. I did travel, but I didn't move often. I stayed, building a life in three or four places. When I thought about writing, I always felt I didn't know enough. And when the time came to look for a job, I always ended up working as a teacher (...and occasionally a secretary)!

"Could I have followed my childhood dream if I had been braver?" was the question that came back to haunt me again and again.

Occasionally I would read career planning books, and wonder if I should change careers... I interned in a newspaper one summer. I could have asked about a journalism job, but the time didn't seem right for me to switch careers...

So all my working life, I (reluctantly) taught.








Recently I picked up another career planning book, intending to give it to a friend who is having career doubts.

But first I want to read it...










 
Early in the book, I found a quiz aimed at determining if a job fits a person's personality.
  • I like my co-workers. The choices are: Few Some Most All  (Yes, I liked most of my co-workers when I was teaching. In fact, there were very few I didn't like.)
  • People I work with share my values. Again the choices are: Few Some Most All (Again I'd have to say most shared my values - we all valued education and liked people.)
  • People I work with respect my skills. Few Some Most All (Again, I'd have to say that very few - if any - ever showed signs of disrespect. So I'd say Most.)
The next batch of questions had to be answered: Yes No or Somewhat. I answered Yes for all:
  • My job utilizes my abilities. (Yes)
  • My job utilizes my education. (Yes)
  • My job is related to my interests. (Yes - especially when I worked with immigrants. I found their lives and stories fascinating!)
  • At work, I work on problems I think are important. (Yes - teaching students to communicate clearly is extremely important.)
  • I am proud of the role ... I play at work. (Yes)
  • I am able to express myself at work. (Yes)
  • At work I am rewarded for my abilities, financially and/or through personal appreciation. (Yes)
The more often the answer is Yes or Most, the better the career fits, the book advises.

Wow! I never realized how much teaching did suit my personality!

Strange as it sounds... after doing the quiz, I felt better about my working years. Realizing that I had kept on teaching because I had positive feelings about the job - not because I lacked courage to switch careers - has allowed me close the door on regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment