Saturday, January 17, 2015

Capturing Outdoor Scenes

I've always thought it would be interesting to sit somewhere to draw and paint... like plein air painters I associate with Paris, sitting by the Seine with their easel and canvas.

Apart from the outdoor botanical painting I did for a while in the summer with a group of botanical artists, I've never painted outdoors. It's complicated to find a good place (in the shade) - with a nearby parking space - and then cart out easel, paints, water and a stool.

But occasionally I do sit by a window painting the limited scene I see outdoors.

















One day this winter I was attracted by the colorful sky through a north-facing window. I focused on one of the trees - though my interest was painting the sky.















I decided to add a few birds on the branches, though they weren't sitting in the tree at the time. I'd like to add a squirrel, the next time I see a black one...

It's not the same as plein air painting - but in some ways its a lot easier.






No comments:

Post a Comment