Sunday, January 11, 2015

"I Shall Not Be Moved"

The last time I visited my mother, I set up her audio book with a Johnny Cash CD entitled "My Mother's Hymn Book" and left her with her head set on, singing along with Johnny Cash... (though people in the hall passing her room would only hear her singing): "I shall not be moved... Just like a tree planted by the water, I shall not be moved."


As I left the room, listening to her sing, it occurred to me that the song was, in a way, the motto of her life. Determined from a young age, she finished high school and attended teachers' college, against all odds: There was no money to do so and no one in her family, except her, valued education over a job.

Later on, married with children and still teaching, she completed her bachelors degree, course by course, through summer school and correspondence. It took over 20 years, but she eventually graduated the year I started university.

She never gave up on her marriage during hard years. Once the children had left home, she and my father consciously focused on appreciating instead of criticizing each other (after reading an article on how a marriage was improved when a couple did just that.) They were rewarded with 20 of the happiest years imaginable. (My father's favorite saying in those years was: The sugar is always at the bottom of the cup.)

She didn't give up during episodes of ill health: She had colon cancer twice and breast cancer once. She chose to "Think positive" instead of worry... In fact, she often forgot she was a cancer survivor! Once when my daughter took her to a medical appointment and the nurse asked if she had any medical problems, she answered: No, none.

But Grandma, you had cancer last year, my daughter interjected.

Well, they took it out, didn't they? she answered. So I don't have it any more.

At 95, she still enjoys each day as it comes, attending more activities than any other resident in the nursing home. She looks forward to exercise classes, sing-a longs, worship services and Bible studies. Her faith in God is as strong as ever.

She has not been moved!

No comments:

Post a Comment