Saturday, January 24, 2015

Fixing My Mother's Quilt

The first quilt I ever owned was a garage-sale find. I mended it, removing squares that were too torn to repair. Fixing it was probably as much work as making a new one - but it was a labor of love.

Since then, I've learned to make quilts, and I've had to repair a few of mine that were family favorites and got a lot of wear. I always get a sense of satisfaction giving a quilt a new lease on life!

Over Christmas, we pulled out one of my mother's old quilts.

I noticed a tear in it... Perhaps I should mend and machine quilt it. It's an interesting patchwork design. My mother made her quilts out of fabric scraps and tacked the layers together with a few stitches of yarn.

It could be fun... I love the design! (Though it might be almost as much work as putting a new one together.)

I wonder if the pattern has a name...(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment